Wednesday 8 April 2015

John Coltrane-A Love Supreme



September 24th

John Coltrane-Resolution-A Love Supreme

John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme” is generally acknowledged as one of the greatest jazz records ever made. More than that, it’s seen as one of the greatest recordings of the 20th century. 

It’s rated by jazz buffs, rock bands, indie freaks, experimental, electronic and improv artists as a major inspiration. 

It’s loved all around the world from America to Japan, South Africa to Brazil; Tunisia to Australia; from Egypt to England-you get my point. There was a retrospective article about the album a few years ago that I read somewhere-it was in some music magazine and it tied in with the release of the album as a 2CD set-and there was a veritable queue of the great and the good lined up singing its praises- Bono; Bob Dylan; Bill Laswell; Lou Reed; Steve Albini; John McLaughlin; Steve Tyler; Jah Wobble-all the usual suspect were there. This sort of puff-piece type thing usually makes me deeply suspicious. 

There is always a tendency for these big stars to try to out-do each other with ever increasing effusive praise and with one-upmanship about how they first heard it at the age of 7 and that they had the original U.S. pressing as a box of 78 shellac discs. 

I remember a review of Dylan’s’ “Blood on the Tracks” wherein some minor artist was rabbitting on about how the bootleg “Blood on the Tapes” was better than “Blood on the Tracks”. It isn’t. It’s just different; and the officially released album is by far the best version. Even more so in respect of The Beach Boys; these rock stars were raving on about “Smile” and how much better it was than “Pet Sounds”. As if they had some perfect copy of the unreleased (and never actually completed) Smile album. They didn’t. All they had were exactly the same bootlegs that nowadays we can all get off the internet and all their bragging about how their celebrity status allowed them to listen to music that was unavailable to us mere mortals, doesn’t ring true anymore. 

So alarm bells sound whenever a record gets praised to the hilt. The sign of the Emperor’s New Clothes springs to mind.

But, for some reason, I went ahead and actually bought the 2 CD copy of “A Love Supreme” that attracted such incredible praise. Maybe I wanted to prove them all wrong- or maybe I had bought into all the hype. 

As I played it for the first time, I had a vision of Bono and Lou Reed sitting on the couch in our front room, nodding sagely and saying. “See, we told you it was good”. I would have quite liked to have been able to retort that it was a crock of shit and that I couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. But I couldn’t, I honestly couldn’t. It truly is a magnificent record.

There’s a lot about how Coltrane intended it to be a hymn of praise to God. Now I’m not sure about all of that, but there’s something about it that I’ve never heard in any other piece of music; something otherworldly, something inspired and inspiring. Whether it was divine intervention or whether Coltrane had reached a point in his musical development that made him produce music that was so special, I can’t really tell and anyway, who’s to say? That it’s inspired is unquestionable; no-one can make music that shimmers so much and is so beautiful without a certain amount of inspiration. And all in one take as well.

The only thing that I can think that it is close to is seeing something as simple as a snowflake. It’s just a little, tiny flake of frozen snow, fluttering down to earth from the sky. One amongst thousands and thousands. But we all know that when looked at under a microscope they’re all unique and incredibly complex. What seems so simple at first sight is mindbogglingly complicated and perfect, but we don’t really know how or why or understand. But we do know that it is perfect.

That is “A Love Supreme”.    

    

This is an extract from "Totally Shuffled-A Year of Listening to Music on a Broken iPod"

        


  and what "Totally Shuffled" is all about:



One track per day for 366 days on a broken iPod. 
366 tracks out of a possible 9553. 
From the obvious (The Rolling Stones), to the obscure (Karen Cooper Complex). 
From the sublime (The Flaming Lips) to the risible (Muse).   
From field recordings of Haitian Voodoo music to The Monkees. 
From Heavy Metal to Rap by way of 1930’s blues, jazz, classical, punk, and every possible genre of music in between. 
This is what I listened to and wrote about for a whole year, to the point of never wanting to hear any more music again. Some songs I listened to I loved, and some I hated. Some artists ended up getting praised to the skies and others received a bit of critical kicking. 
There’s memories of spending too many hours in record shops, prevaricating over the next big thing and surprising myself over tracks that I’d completely forgotten about. 
But with 40 years of listening to music, I realised that I’ll never get sick of it.  I may have fallen out of love with some of the songs in this book, but I’ll never fall out of love with music.     



Get/read Totally Shuffled here

Kindle:
          

No comments:

Post a Comment