Saturday 7 February 2015

"Totally Shuffled" extract Gong etc

extracted from "Totally Shuffled - A Year of Listening to Music on  A Broken iPod"



February 18th

Gong-You Can’t Kill Me- Live Etc

I think I may have written earlier that the only prog albums I have ever had were by Genesis and ELP? I suppose that Gong may just fall into that bracket, but looking on Wikipedia (which is always correct,) they are also termed as psychedelic and /or space rock. So that’s ok then-I’m off the prog hook.

This album was released in 1977 and I think that I got it a couple of years later i.e. on the cusp of punk and post-punk. It was seemingly therefore a strange record for me to get at that time, being preoccupied by the likes of Gang of Four, The Fall, Swell Maps and the like. I’d heard tangentially of Gong by one of my friends who made me listen to a split live LP recorded by Alternative TV (Mark Perry’s punk band) and Here & Now (a sort of Gong offshoot).That album (“What You See...Is What You Are”), I tried to get for ages and ages with no success, until I came across a copy only 18 months ago. It’s not on the iPod, so I won’t be writing about it directly, but it certainly is a curious mix of ATV’s punk thrash and Here & Now’s hippy trippy ramblings. Especially on the last track when both bands play ATV’s “Splitting in Two” together. 

As I couldn’t get hold of the live Here & Now album, then the next best thing was a live Gong album. They’d issued another live album in 1977 called “Floating Anarchy Live”, but I couldn’t get hold of that either-that had been released on Charly and was a complete live concert recorded in Toulouse. 

I was left with getting this “Live Etc” album released on Virgin (probably as a spoiler to affect any success for the Charly release as Gong had previously been signed to Virgin). As spoiler albums go, it’s pretty good. It’s a mixture of various live tracks recorded between 1973 and 1975, as well as some tracks that I think may have been recorded by the BBC for John Peel’s show. 

For a long time I’d mistakenly assumed it was all from one concert and not patched together from old tapes in the vaults. It was well packaged though. A double LP (but not gatefold-that would tip it into the prog side of the equation). It had a silver sleeve with the Gong logo and was cut out around the logo itself, so you could see the inner sleeves of the records which were brightly coloured collages made up of numerous photos of the band.  

For some odd reason I ordered this album from a mail order company advertised in the back of Sounds and it turned up in the post-after I‘d sent a cheque-in a 12” cardboard package. (How old-fashioned and quaint. Cheques and mail order. Music in the post).   

Gong always had a reputation of being a bunch of stoned hippies rambling on about pothead pixies and flying teapots. Go figure-it sounds quite justified. However, they can’t have been stoned all the time if this album is anything to go by. It’s more jazz fusion than prog, and all the playing is so tight and hard that they were either extremely brilliant musicians who could still play well through a haze of class A,B and C drugs, or were having nothing much stronger than a cup of PG Tips when this was recorded.         

Get/see/read the rest of "Totally Shuffled" here;

Kindle e book
Paperback  


No comments:

Post a Comment